Academic Prerequisites for Doctor of Philosophy Degree at the School of Mathematical Sciences of Xiamen University
（Revised February 2017）
This document sets forth the requirements for the publication of papers by graduate students at the School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS) of Xiamen University as a prerequisite for the conferral of a Doctoral degree. These requirements have been established in accordance with Xiamen University’s Guidelines for the conferral of Doctoral Degrees
Academic Prerequisites for PhD degree
1. The applicant’s research achievements must be innovated and have considerable academic value and contribution. The main research content must be informative with feasible technical route. The plagiarism is forbidden, and principle errors must be avoided.
2. In addition to the required credits and training, an applicant for the PhD degree at SMS should publish papers in high rate academic journals, and should meet either one of the requirements detailed below:
(1) Publish at least 2 papers on SCI-indexed journals. For disciplines focused on applications of Mathematics, SCI papers can be substituted by EI papers.
(2) Publish at least 1 paper on an academic journal which is in the list of Core Academic Journals of Mathematical Discipline (数学学科重要学术刊物) or on a JCR-2 journal and above；
Such journals do not include supplemental editions, special editions, or collections. A letter of acceptance would be sufficient.
3. The papers should be relevant to his/her PhD dissertation and should each exceed 3000 words in general.
4. The first affiliation of the paper for the degree must be School of Mathematical Sciences, Xiamen University. Without special instructions, the applicant student should be the first author or correspondence author, or be the second author while his/her supervisor being the first author.
5. This document comes into effect for students enrolled in 2017 and thereafter.